Friday, November 14, 2014

What Hip-Hop Dancing has Taught Me About Life


As a teenager in the late eighties and early nineties I was an avid hip-hop and break-dancer. This was an era when those interested in the genre would sometimes, while walking in public spaces, carry bulky stereos on their shoulders with pounding music that caused equal amounts of annoyance and amusement. Often, on the sidewalk or in the park, the stereo and sheets of cardboard would be placed on the ground, a circle would form, and we would practise our moves and compete against each other. Twenty years have passed since then, and now I am an almost middle-aged academic. My students have probably never seen one of those stereos except in some eighties flick or a museum.

Although I stopped dancing regularly, there still is a part of me that has a blast moving to the rhythmic melodies, rhyming lyrics, and booming beats. In fact throughout the past few decades I continued to dance, but only occasionally and for fun—sometimes at home in the living room, other times at clubs with friends. This year I decided to take up hip-hop dancing again, even though it would be hard to reconcile with the punishing hours involved in my teaching and research. It has been two months since I started taking weekly classes. I am still in the beginner-intermediate level, and plan to make it to the full-intermediate by winter 2015 and to the advanced-level by 2016, but already I have learned that hip-hop dancing has a lot of life lessons to teach:

1) Humiliation is necessary for success

Entering my first class was very awkward, mainly because I was twice the age of almost everyone else. Generally I am a pretty confident guy, but this confidence did not prepare me for the embarrassment that I felt when I was unable to keep up with the others. I thought that my past history of dancing would have made a beginner class a breeze. What I found, rather, was that I could not follow all the moves of the instructor, nor coordinate with everybody else. The humiliation was compounded by the fact that all this happened in front of a huge mirror, where everyone could see how out of step I was. At certain moments, I just wanted to leave the room, with my tail between my legs, and forget about the whole experience, never to return. But I was determined. Two months later, I have improved considerably, such that I can now keep up with the instructor and with everyone else.

Last week I decided to take my first intermediate class. I thought I would be able to handle it because I have become good at the beginner level. I was wrong; the next level is harder than I thought, and, similar to my first beginner class, I was humiliated because I was the only person in the room who could not keep up. But this did not discourage me. In fact it made me more determined than ever to master the intermediate level. It also made me more comfortable with humiliation, which is salutary in so many ways. It not only forced me to think about what went wrong and how to improve. It also deflated my ego, which is a good defense against pride, one of the major defects of character that afflicts the human race.

2) Anything worth having is hard

My objective is not to become a professional dancer. At this stage in my life it would not be prudent to throw away the ten years of university that it took to obtain a PhD and aim to tour as a back-up dancer for J-Lo or J-Z. My definition of success is more modest: to reach the advanced level in less than two years. But even this will take a lot of dedication, sweat, and hard work. And who knows? I might discover, after reaching that modest objective, that my definition of success was too restricted and that I should aim for the stars, although with my already aching knees that is very unlikely.

3) To be original, one must first learn from the experts

We live in an age in which originality and individual self-expression are supreme values, often irrespective of the quality of these things (in some circles, the very notion of “quality” is a bourgeois anachronism that devalues human equality). One of the ironies of the times, though, is that as more people aim to be original, they actually become more like each other. Most claims or perceptions of originality, then, are quite shallow. True originality should therefore include the element of quality; it must not only be different, but in some sense an improvement. This takes a lot of hard work, and before one can get there, one must learn from the masters of the trade. This is true whether one is completing a PhD or learning how to dance. Because of my history of dancing it would be easy to delude myself into thinking that I can come up with better moves than my teacher, but this is not the case. My sense is that I will be able to be truly original when I have mastered the advanced level. After that, I can start to try to develop my own techniques and routines that build upon and improve what I have been taught. This is no guarantee that true originality will emerge, but it will be worth trying.

4) With art, feeling is more important than thinking

Taking hip-hop classes has forced me to train my brain to learn in new ways. I remember ideas pretty well. After reading a book, I will remember most of the main ideas of the text; give me a newspaper, and after reading it I will be able to recall the content of most of the articles; ditto for poetry: with a little effort I can memorize entire pieces of verse, like Hamlet’s “To Be or Not to Be”. The reason, I think, is that I have always been a reader, and my brain—either through learning, genetics, or both—is equipped to process and internalize ideas. One of the reasons I struggled during my first hip-hop classes was that I tried to learn the dance routine the same way that I learn ideas: through thinking and memorization. Luckily, I had a good instructor to tell me that that was the wrong approach. He told me that I had to “feel” the moves. How, I asked? He replied that every move should be felt as a whole body sensation. That little piece of advice made a dramatic difference in my capacity to learn.

Feeling is important for other reasons. When listening to a beautiful piece of music, or reading a moving poem, or observing a delightful painting, we are touched because of the way that these pieces of art make us feel. We can intellectualize all we want about why Hamlet’s “To Be or Not to Be” can stir the soul, but fundamentally the poem’s power has endured for centuries because of its emotional impact on the reader. The same is true for hip-hop dancing. Watching the instructor dance is beautiful because of the way his talent makes the observer feel. Success, then, will be measured, not mainly on the basis of how much I have learned, but on the way that people feel when they see me dance. Did I impact them emotionally in some way? If not, then I have a lot to learn.

Lastly, the beliefs “if it feels right, do it” or “follow your heart” or “it is right if you feel it” have no place in the attempt to become a good hip-hop dancer. In fact in many ways this genre teaches me to ignore the way I feel. Had I followed my “feelings”, I would not have returned to the class after those humiliating experiences, nor would I risk dancing in front of others when I am so unsure of myself. One of the beautiful things about this experience is that it is helping me to become comfortable with negative feelings, to not run away whenever things get uncomfortable or hard, to accept my flaws and weaknesses. This is difficult but wholly salutary for all areas of life. Progress is slow but with determination becomes inexorable.

5) Harmony and coordination with others compliments individual talent.

Hip-Hop dancing has been a helpful reminder that we are not equally endowed. For reasons of biology, learning, and plain old luck, some are simply more talented than others. At the classes, I sometimes cannot help but be envious at some of the dancers in the room who seem to be able to learn and perform the moves with ease, while I am struggling. But although—at least at this point—I am not as good as the others, I am getting better. And when I dance with those who are better than me, it helps to motivate me to improve.

When we dance together as a group, this inequality of talent is somewhat reduced because we are all doing the same moves. Some do them better than others because they have more rhythm in their bounce, or because they can somehow incorporate their entire bodies—including the slightest facial expressions—into each move, giving the motions much more soul than would otherwise be the case. But these differences are minimized when as a group we do the same routine, and when we are coordinating the moves with one another. This seems to be a metaphor for other spheres of human activity. The intrinsic inequality of talent between human beings is somewhat attenuated when they work together for a shared goal—whether in the seminar room, business enterprise, or dance studio. This does not, of course, negate the value of individual genius. Watching Michael Jackson dance is a reminder that some will always tower above the others, and no amount of team work can change that. But still: there is something magical when people dance together because, almost through osmosis, the skills of the best are transferred to the less talented, creating something that is more than the sum of the individual parts.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment